Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:28 pm
Taite & I have 2 daughters, Mia (4.5) & Carly (2.5), then I miscarried after them (at 10 wks), & was 39 wks pregnant w/my first boy. I had been induced w/both of my daughters, at 41.5 wks (she was 9 lbs & had shoulder dystocia, got stuck coming out) & 39 wks (bc of my large 1st baby having SD). I had never had a csection.
I was scheduled to be induced on Thurs 3/1, at 39 wks, so they wanted me to go in Wed night 2/29 to start. I was having some contractions on the way there though. I arrived at 8pm, & I asked for my favorite labor & delivery nurse because she had delivered my first daughter 4.5 yrs ago, & I had asked for her for my 2nd daughter 2.5 yrs ago but she was busy until just after I gave birth (that one happened much more quickly). I was checked around 9:30pm & was told I was 2cm but could be stretched to a 3, & 50% effaced, and my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. I hadn't eaten so since I could eat before midnight, they let me eat first, & then I got the cytotec around 12:30am. The next morning, they tried to break my water around 11am with no luck. The doctor said I was still 2.5 cm but my cervix was too long & the baby's head wasn't down enough. They started the pitocin at 6 milliunits, & then over the next hour and a half it was increased to 8 milliunits, then 10, 12, and 14. The contractions became really strong & the pain started to get worse. Around 2pm my contractions were 2.5 minutes apart. They increased the pitocin to 16 milliunits & then 18. When I couldn't take the pain anymore, I asked for an epidural around 3pm but the anesthesiologist had just been called to help someone else so I had to wait a very long painful hour. I finally got the epidural, but by then it hurt so badly I was crying partly from the pain & partly just from being scared to death about the epidural. After it was in, they checked me again & I was 6cm. I got a catheter & they broke my water. They turned off the pitocin to see if I would continue laboring on my own, which I did. My doctor had to go perform a csection on someone so I was told she wouldn't be back for an hour. Probably around 6pm I started to feel a LOT of pressure... like the baby wanted to come out. I also started feeling nauseaous... I gagged into a bag a lot but couldn't actually throw up since I hadn't eaten in about 20 hrs. I was checked by a different nurse and was told it wasn't time to push yet because I was only 9cm. My heartrate went up, and the baby's heart rate dropped for some reason so they were watching it. I was so exhausted, and the pressure was intense. They made me wear an oxygen mask to help me breathe. About 6:45pm the dr came in & the nurse immediately told her I was ready & at 10cm (without checking me again?). The pressure was painful. The baby's heartrate had been 140 at one point but was now 70. They said I could start pushing. This is where my nightmare began.
When I felt a contraction, I was told to push for 10 seconds, so I did... & again, & again... Then the next contraction, as I was pushing the dr & nurse could see my baby's head coming. I was getting excited & hoped I wouldn't be pushing for long. But the next contraction felt different... it felt weaker, but I pushed anyway, & after that set the contraction didn't stop, it kind of lingered on, although not as strong as a normal one. It just felt weird. My nurse looked confused as she watched the monitor. The dr & nurse could no longer see the baby's head. So the next (still kind of strange feeling) contraction came,and the nurse seemed confused if it was a contraction or not, but it seemed like it was... they told me to push harder, but the head was gone, so the dr had me roll over to lay on my right side, then my left side... & afterwards the dr felt inside & could not feel the baby's head at all. She kept feeling around & the nurse said, "What do you feel?" The dr said, ".....It's an extremity," with a very confused look on her face. The nurse repeated, "An EXTREMITY?" & the dr said, "....... It's a FOOT..!!!?" She looked like she had NO IDEA what was going on. I felt a sense of panic, as the nurse quickly said to the dr, "Should we take her down and get her ready?" meaning, csection. I was all for it since I felt like SOMETHING went wrong & I just wanted my baby out NOW. As soon as the decision was made for the emergency csection, everyone moved so quickly. They were throwing gowns & caps & masks on as they flew my bed down the hallway. People seemed SO panicked, running down the hall w/their gowns & caps & masks half on. I was screaming for Taite to come w/us, but he was told he couldn't. Apparently eventually someone threw an outfit at him & told him to put it on. I was taken into the O.R. I was scared to DEATH. I HAD been very very nervous about ever getting a csection, but at this point I just wanted to be cut open & have my baby pulled out safely & quickly.