What we have been discussing so far is that because this pregnancy is close to my CS and even though my girls will be 18 months apart I had a 4 month recovery with an unhealing wound around my incision it is more like 14 months, my doctor feels like it's actually risky to go too far past my EDD for me specifically and still attempt the induction. She is basically saying that she sees three options 1) Try the gentle induction, but if that happens she wants it to be as close to my EDD as possible because the further out we get the higher risk it is and while she thinks having one of those factors in play is okay, both make her nervous and I am inclined to agree. 2) Wait till 41 weeks and then discuss scheduling a repeat CS for some time in the next week (so around 42 weeks) that is as far as she is saying she feels comfortable pushing things out past my EDD, but at that point she would be concerned about trying the induction and we would be looking at going straight to a repeat CS or 3) schedule a repeat CS which we are both invested in avoiding.
Because everything is looking normal for both Cora and me at this point and because I am almost 100% and we think around 6 cm dialated already with baby low and in good position, my doctor is saying that she thinks she can get Cora out relatively quickly once labor starts which is why she thinks it is worth trying a gentle induction. However, because it is unusual, she wants to make sure she will be the one there rather than another doctor on call because she knows me and my history and wants to do it soon because she thinks that will give us the best chance of success without a rupture. In short, we can wait a bit longer and if I want to, my doctor will support that, however that may make it less likely that a gentle induction will succeed and increase the risk involved in attempting one and depending on what happens between now and then it may take the option off the table.
In any case, I am going in tomorrow for an NST and to get checked again. Depending how that goes, we will make a decision, but as of my last appointment my doctor was thinking that trying a gentle induction on Tuesday when it will still be close to my EDD and she will be covering deliveries. I am a bit torn around wanting to see if she will come on her own given a little more time, but am leaning toward trying the induction while we know it's possible rather than risking a repeat CS.
If this baby is anything like our other kids, she will sit tight till after my appointment, force us to make all these decisions and then decide to appear at the last possible moment Tuesday morning any way